Saturday, June 1, 2013

I'll take that vintage Bordeaux...and Wolverine Limited Series #1 (1982)

I am up on a Saturday morning when I should be resting.  It is 4:30 in the morning and all I do is think about Greenpoint and Williamsburg...because that is where there sare stoop sales with comics in those neighborhoods on Craigslist.  "Vintage 80s comics" one of the ads says.  I don't know.  Should the 80s really be identified as a "vintage" era?  If so, then I am a very old man.  But the term "vintage," for whatever reason, stirs an undeserved and chaotic imagination of what one might actually find:  A Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle #1 (1984)?   A Secret Wars #8 (1984), in which Spider-Man dons the all-black costume? None too original if you ask me, but for whatever reason this was considered a pretty big deal!  Or Avengers Annual #10 (1981), the first appearance of Rogue?

Sure, they're all great comics worth pursuing.  But in my book, "vintage" should apply to wines and dresses.  And Craiglisters should stop messing with my mind.  'Cause what I'll probably find are boxes of Marvel's New Universe Line (1986).  Does anyone remember D.P. 7?  Ugh... Well, that's the life of a comic book picker.

No comments:

Post a Comment