Saturday, May 18, 2013

So...what have I been reading lately?

If you're curious, here's a list of titles I've decided to try out:

Ultimate Comics - Ultimate Spider-Man
Why?  'Cause I picked up #22 in which Miles Morales' mom died and it really touched me.  Losing a parent has got to be pretty hard thing to deal with, especially if you're still a kid.  Then #23 introduces the Ultimate version of Cloak and Dagger.  Yeah, I really liked them back in the 80s, so why not collect this story arc?

Captian Marvel
Why? 'Cause I wanted to read about a strong, female hero.  I gave Batwoman and while I really liked the beautiful artwork by J.H. Willimas III, I found myself...bored by the story.  Reading this new incarnation of Captain Marvel actually spurred me to collect some of the original Mar-Vell stories.  I even bought a decent copy of Marvel Super-Heroes #13, Carol Danvers' first appearance.  I found a nice copy of the graphic novel Death of Captain Marvel from a stoop sale last year and cried as Mar-Vell fought valiantly as he succumbed to his illness.  In a way, I'm glad he's still dead.  It's a tribute that they didn't bring him back.

Helheim
Why?  I have to admit that I bought this on the advice of a few websites that recommended it as one to buy and hold and then sell later when it catches on in popularity.  With a low print run and a story about vikings and zombies, why wouldn't it?  But the story is so tragic and well drawn that I have grown to really like it. And to be fair, the websites all did say that it was a great read as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment