Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Joseph Koch's Comic Book Warehouse

I just love this place.  Located a block off the BQE in Sunset Park, it is literally a warehouse.  I walk up a flight of stairs and go past the sweatshop.  Sometimes there are women working on machines, sometimes the doors are shut.  I don't ask.  I just head to the back of the building and down a short corridor to the large room containing rows and stacks of boxed comics. 

I enjoy shaking hands with stout Peter and listening to him talk to another comic buff about how modern comics can't compete with the Silver and Bronze Ages.  I know he likes Howard the Duck.  I am amazed that Joe, with his unbrushed mane of white hair, has so much energy and never hesitates to seek out whatever comic someone asks of him.  There are the $1 comics in the front and the "the good stuff" in the back.  I would not be surprised to find the Ark of the Covenant lost somewhere here. Maybe it is under the "Archie" comics. 

This is a dirty place.  There is dust on everything I touch.  No cleaning detergeant has ever touched any part of the concrete floor I imagine.  The lighting is decent but there are some dark rows.  I think I see their cat, Fuzzball, darting in and out from the corner of my eye.  They give out free snacks on days that the warehouse to the public.  I like eating the Dunkin' Donuts donut-holes.  I am not as squeamish as I used to be.

Me, I like to lose myself for that hour of escape so that I can thumb through the $1 Marvel bins, my current interest.  I am going through boxes of Spider-Man, a character I was never interested in when I was younger.  Now I find several issues that I put aside to purchase:  the Spider-Man clone stories including the issue where Mary Jane tells Peter Parker she is pregnant and some early Ultimate Spider-Man issues from the early 2000s featuring an alternate storyline where Peter is a teen-ager again and working as a web-master for the Daily Bugle. I find some defunct-Atlas comics from the mid-70s where Larry Lieber, Stan Lee's brother, worked as an editor (sort of like an alternate version of Marvel that failed in real life), like The Scorpion #1 (an early Howard Chaykin work of noir crime-fighting set in the 30s).  I find Marvel Team-Up Annual #4, an awful story written and drawn by Frank Miller starring Spider-Man, Moon Knight and Daredevil fighting against some Purple Man with mind-control powers and the Kingpin.  I guess even the best writers flop from time to time. 

I sigh.  My hour is up and I have to go back home to take care of the family.  I pay the butcher's bill.  I wish Peter well and tell him I'll see him again.  He knows my name and wishes me likewise.  I come here that often.  I walk out and am amazed that the sun is still shining.  After going through hundreds and hundreds of comics, my fingers are black.  I wonder if this is how my lungs would look if I smoked.  Still, I have my comics.  They're not in perfect condition but they're cheap. And I get to enjoy reading them and knowing that if this be my one and only vice, then I'm gonna live a long time reading comics. 

No comments:

Post a Comment