Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Undervalued Comic Book Collecting trend: Price Guides and Preview magazines

Speculators abound in the comic book market these days as they search for paper gold among these categories:  variants, first appearances, small press/low print copies... I do my best not to get caught up in the hype for hot titles and comics.  So I look for books that genuinely interest me.  I've been having fun with a ton of Price guides and preview magazines as you can see from my recent posts.  They are fun to read and really cheap!  I just found this copy of Overstreet Comic Book Monthly #3 for a dollar.  It is still sealed in its plastic wrap.  What is great about it is that it has a reproduction of Overstreet's very first publication.  Very nice collectible.  Recent eBay sales of this reprint is around $15 to $20 dollars.  I really want to break open the wrap and take a look at how much Amazing Fantasy was going for in 1970, but...well, you know...

Anyway, a lot of guides in dollar bins are from the 80s and 90s, so they're about 20 to 30 years old.  Nostalgia for Wizard, Hero, Overstreet, Comic Reader, Comic Buyer's Guide and related guided and preview magazines will grow, I believe, because, well, who didn't remember thumbing through them to get a glimpse of the next hot comic?  Most of these magazines were most likely abused or thrown out.  Some have first appearances.  I'll leave it to the market to decide what is a "real" first appearance.  If you're a collector and you want a preview appearance of Spawn, you go right ahead and buy it while it's still cheap.  Collect what you want and you'll always be happy.



No comments:

Post a Comment