Saturday, June 1, 2013

Comic Book Find #2 and #3: Crazy! #2 and Captain America fights Asthma (again!)

I can say with much expertise that I am still an amateur when considering if a find is the right purchase.  I went to a stoop sale in Williamsburg this morning and came upon an elderly couple, probably in their early sixties, who were selling, among other things, a half box of comics.  I was a bit disappointed but I went through the box anyway.  There were quite a bit from the '70s but of all the ones that were still in somewhat decent shape, I selected the following:


This issue was probably no better than a VG+.  I hadn't heard of this Marvel title but I knew they had a similar satire title called Not Brand Ecch!  When I got back home and looked it up, Crazy! #2 is actually a Not Brand Ecch! reprint from 1968.  Oh well.  Still, for two bucks, it's pretty funny with art by Jack Kirby.  It's worth between $4 and $6, my guess.

There might be more from this couple.  The woman had leaned forward and said "This is just the hair of the tip of the iceberg."  She went on to say that she had more from the 80s and 90s and that she and her husband were going to have another sale soon.  So I gave her my email address.  We'll see what actually happens.  But it's nice to have a possible lead.  How much is a hair of the tip of the iceberg?  I'd like to know...

After Williamsburg, I headed over to Sunset Park to Joseph Koch's Comic Warehouse.  I pulled out the following comic from a lot that he had just gotten yesterday:


This is obviously a promotional comic.  I love these types of comics because the intent is to bring attention to important health matters.  Past promotional comics include Spidey helping kids avoid being sexually abused and the X-Men fighting hunger in Ethopia.  I also love them because sometimes the covers are kinda ridiculous.  Really?  Allergens in the form of bugbears?  And who's that green thing?  Does he really need a gun to spread asthma?  Mark Bagley, the artist, would go on to draw Ultimate Spider-Man.  It's not his best work but anything that helps kids fight asthma should be applauded.  Interestingly, a NM version of this comic is worth about $10.  Not bad for a one dollar purchase.  And apparently, this is the sequel!

This purchase also reveals another lesson in being an amateur:  had I known how much this comic was actually worth, I would have bought the other five copies.  Looks like I have to read up on my Overstreet. 

I finished up around 12:15pm and then spent the rest of the day with my family.  Remember:  life isn't always about comics, but there's no reason not to read them when you have a free moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment